Saturday, February 22, 2014

Dinner - Red Lobster (Maine)

My wife and I were celebrating our belated Valentine's day and we decided to go out for dinner with wine and cocktail. We both have been craving for seafood, and Blacksburg is located nowhere near the ocean, so we just agreed to go to Red Lobster in Christiansburg, VA. Since it was Saturday night, the restaurant was packed with people and we had to wait for about an hour to get seated.


After we got seated, I was really eager to try Savignon Blanc because I just read about French white wines from the textbook and I was curious how it will taste and feel in my mouth. Also, it will go really well with seafood dishes that we were about to eat. So I ordered a glass of Savignon Blanc, and My wife ordered Pina Colada. 


I chose salad with Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar dressing, and my wife had salad with red wine dressing. They also gave us free breads.




Finally our dishes came out. Mine was a Shrimp and Lobster Linguine with Alfredo sauce, and my wife ordered Bar Harbor Lobster Bake which was consist of lobster meat, shrimp, scallop, mussel, and pasta noodle. My dish was very creamy and salty, and my wife's dish was lightly buttered pasta and seafood baked in a bowl.
 
Here's my review for the Wine and Diner: 

I had 2012 Coastal Estates Savignon Blanc, California, U.S.A. and it was about $6 per glass at the restaurant. The color was light and clear, and green and little bit of citrus were on the nose. This wine had sweet green apple, light, crisp, and acidic light body. It wasn't syrup sweet, it had medium sweetness and acidic flavor at the beginning, but they gradually disappear towards to the end. It was not a dry wine at all and nice and smooth from the beginning to the end..
It was actually very good paring with seafood dishes as I expected. The salty and creamy flavor balanced very well with crisp and acidic aroma/flavor of this wine. My dish could have been too creamy and greasy for my taste, but the right amount of acid level in the wine helped to balance between the two.
I think it would have been equally good if I tried Chardonnay with drier aroma and flavor. Overall, the dinner with wine experience was very successful since the balance was very good and clean. We both had great time and can't wait to go try another dishes with different wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment